Sunday, February 10, 2008

Aunt Katie passed away this morning

My Mom called me today and told me that my Great Aunt Katie (my Dad's only living sister) died this morning. As a child, she was my favorite Aunt. I even named my daughter after her.

Aunt Katie was quite ill the last couple of years of her life. I went to see her last February when my sister was here visiting. My aunt lived most of her life in Richmond, Kentucky.

I've told the story before of how my Grandpa had 'visited' my Grandma just before she died. I was only 3 when my Dad's father passed away. I have few memories of him. But I had quite a loving and long relationship with my Grandmother. I was named after her. She lived in a double house in Richmond with my aunt Katie and Katie's only daughter Sandra. On the opposite side of the house lived Jane, who had become friends with my Aunt. My grandmother never really liked Jane, but Jane would sometimes (more often as Grannie got older) check on my Grandmother when my aunt was at work. My Grandma (Grannie) was ailing for quite a while, and one day Jane stopped by to see her. Grannie was looking at the foot of her bed and talking. Jane asked who she was talking to, and Grannie said," I'm talking to Papa, and he's telling me what to bring". (Who knew you could take something with you!) and then she proceeded to tell Jane how much she appreciated all she had done for Aunt Katie. Soooo, we figured out that she was taking gratitude and good relationships with her.

Now, back to Aunt Katie. A couple of days ago she was having lots of conversations with people who had passed away before her. She mentioned all of her brothers (including my dad) and her sister Mimi. She even said,"Mimi, make me something to eat." They must have been getting ready for her. Then the best statement of all, she said, "Daddy's at the bottom of the hill waiting for me". The veil can be very thin at times.

6 comments:

chelle said...

So sorry to hear about your aunt. Sounds like she had good, long life and that she had a wonderful welcoming party.
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. :D

Patty said...

What a comfort to know that she had loved ones with her, waiting to welcome her to where they are!

Mama D said...

I, too, had a Great Aunt Kate.

The veil is much thinner than we realize. What a wonderful experience to hold onto as you grieve her passing.

One of the lines in the song GBH wrote that was sung at his funeral says, "There is no death but only change."

What a comfort our knowledge of the plan of salvation offers! The resurrection promises us, not an end at death, but continued living.

Corrie- said...

I picked up on that same line in the song at Pres. Hinckley's funeral. It brings much comfort. Our thoughts are with you at this time. What wonderful memories you have of your dear aunt.

carrie said...

i'm sorry to hear of your loss louann. it's a great thing to have a testimony of the gospel in times like this...it gives us a peace and a comfort that so many others do not have.

i want to extend our heartfelt condolences. God bless you and your family.

Leslie said...

So sorry for your loss. She sounds like a very special lady.