Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Happiness is . . . .

Remember the Peanuts book 'Happiness is a warm puppy'? I think I need to write a list of things that make me happy.
Having an adoring husband makes me really really happy. He works so hard at trying to keep me happy that it drives me insane sometimes- but I know he loves me truly.
My many children make me happy. I love seeing the little ones grow up, and although I miss the toddler years (yes, really- and Yes, I do remember how hard they were), I love that they are getting older and more independent. Silly me, I like kids who have an opinion, it shows me they are thinking for themselves. (Although I don't always agree with their opinion).
Having a house, neighborhood, and neighbors I know, is wonderful. I don't miss living in apartments and living by rules a property owner has dictated. I like knowing who lives on both sides of my house, even though I don't see them very often.
My cats give me the giggles. They are so much like- - -- CATS! You know, independent one minute and 'in your face' don't you love me? the next. Happiness is a warm furry, cat food smelling kitty!
Family makes me happy. I don't get to spend much time with my own family, so I am very grateful that Bari's family has been so welcoming to me and my children.
Memories of my childhood give me happiness. I grew up in a very average household without much extra money floating around. For some reason this summer, I find myself reminiscing about my summers in Clyde, and how we spent our time. Those are good memories.
Sometimes my job makes me happy. I am really good at what I do, and I like saving treasures and making them into showpieces for their families to keep. It can be very rewarding.
I like a good movie. Going out with my husband and my children makes me happy. We don't always have to go out to have a good time, but it is fun to do something different. Last weekend we took Madeline, Sam and Bari Ray to Macaroni Grill in Tri-County. Since the kids ordered from the kid's menu, and we got water to drink, the bill was less than $10 a person! So, the key is to take them out only as long as they can order from the Cheap Menu!
I am happy with my life. I know I complain about hot flashes, and busy schedules (it won't get any easier next school year), but I am happy with where I am right now. I am grateful for the gospel in my life. I am 'out in the world' more than with church members, and that is a constant reminder of how wonderful the gospel and the church are. People really are confused, and even more importantly, they seem to want to take the easy way out. I have several friends who attend a very large non-denominational church who are constantly talking about how great and fun and exciting the 'messages' are each week. They wouldn't dare call them 'sermons' because that would mean that it was something other than a suggestion. Anyway, I am reminded that we are taught the Meat of the Gospel every week, not fluff, or suggestions of what we should do. It surprises me how scared people are that they might be told what to do. Or even the ministers seem hesitant to do more than suggest a Christ like life. Christ's baptism was absolute, not a suggestion. His teachings were specific.
Happiness is getting the chance to blog my thoughts and feelings no matter what they are.

2 comments:

Patty said...

I love your happiness list! Maybe you should do some posts about the summers you're reminiscing about... I'll bet they'd be fun to hear about!
I love hearing your opinions and feelings!

Mama D said...

Happiness is having friends like you!

I love your list. My parents had that Peanuts "Happiness is..." book when I was growing up. I loved reading it!