Monday, January 26, 2009

a great week-- - --REALLY !

I've had 2 really good weeks - in a row! Yep, very little drama, and some great dates with my husband.

Might as well get the Joey news out of the way first. After the 'bad' blog, he came and stayed with us for about 3 days. He had a BAD cold- really bad. I don't know if it was a type of withdrawal and cold together- but it was disgusting. Anyway, that was when the weather was terribly cold outside, and the basement of our house became North Siberia. Bari Ray has a little heater in his room, but I don't have any more to give Joey. So, he finally left for warmer climates. I didn't hear from him for a week, (Hmm- can we say- 'back to the same old pattern?')- and then he called and said he was looking for a job- needed to do his community service, and needed money. (Yes, back to the same old pattern). I have gotten over feeling bad about not helping him. He will be 22 in 2 weeks. Somehow Joey has got to make it in this world. At 22 I was living with my parents, BUT- I had just graduated college, was painting everyday, and showing my watercolors at art shows and galleries.

Ok- enough of that- on to my really great week. The Friday before last I had a DAY OFF ! Yes!! a WHOLE day- with NO children! No weddings- no travel anywhere (w-o-w). I was able to work on wedding production all day, and play with a trial wedding album program. The best part (although I do like doing wedding computer stuff)- was that I watched my fave soap at lunch, while reading my fave author (during commercials) and treating myself to HOT chocolate pudding. Wow. What a day.

Then, as if that wasn't enough, on that Saturday night, Bari and I had a DATE! we went out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant in Tri-county near my store. It was pretty good. We will go back again sometime soon I hope. After dinner, we went to see what was on clearance at one of the stores that are going out of business. We need to upgrade the computer downstairs. It is getting to the point where we need more memory for all the programs needed for the wedding business.
It was a really nice evening.

On Wednesday, I got to go to Sam's scout meeting and talk 'art' with them. They were so cute. I was able to show them paintings that Sam's Grandpa (my Dad) and his Grandma (my Mom) had done. I also showed them one of my watercolors, and Sam's Derby car that I framed from last year. It was fun. I give huge thanks - and hugs and kisses- and any other heartfelt love and admiration to Heather and Karlin for taking on that group of boys. They are a handful- fun, but a handful.

Saturday I went with Bari to the Northern Kentucky Convention Center and attended seminars and a trade show at the Professional Photographers Association Mid-East States Expo. It was really great. I only had a 1 day pass, but next year, I will try to get to more. We had really good Seminars. The first was all about turning photography into fine art- his artwork was incredible, and very motivating. We ran into friends of ours at the trade show and were able to catch up and 'talk biz'. The trade show was small, but very helpful. We have contracted with a web design company who will help up design and manage a new web site (I'm soooo excited). They also do online hosting, so we can post our wedding images. There will be some manipulating with printing and shipping, whether we use their labs or not, who will ship prints and things like that- but it was a great step forward. Bari was also able to purchase some equipment we needed at a discount price. Trade shows are really good with bargains, you just have to know what you need.

Then on Sunday, Madeline had an awards program we had to go to. One of her drawings from school was entered in the Reflections program through the PTO. She won first place in her grade category (1st grade through 5th). Her piece was sent on to Hamilton County where it placed for an award, and then sent on to the Ohio competition. So, that was pretty exciting. We knew how it did locally, but not that it won on the County level, or that it was sent on to the Ohio state level. Next year I want to get Sammy involved. He is really good at drawing, and I think that he would enjoy photography more, if he had his own camera. Hmmmm- I'll have to look into that.

So, here it is 6am on Monday. I've been up since about 4:50am. I don't know why so early, except I was able to clean up the kitchen (which I neglected last night- we looked at sample web pages instead- which was MUCH more fun), and blog.

- - --------I just got a recorded message from St. X- school is delayed an hour. I'd better get done with this and check the school listings for delays!

Have a great week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Shayleen Lunt said...

Louann -
I'm so glad that you had a great week! You deserve it! We missed you yesterday. Thanks for taking care of a sub ;)

chelle said...

It's about time you had less drama!!! (and great dates with your hubby! wooot!)

Patty said...

I'm glad you had such a good week- you deserve it!

Mama D said...

Ditto - so glad you had a great week! Date nights are awesome.