Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas-----

Well, my Christmas is finally beginning. Yesterday (Sat) was my last day of work until next Thursday. It's just the luck of the draw that I don't have to work New Years Eve.
I've been shopping with Bari the last 2 nights and it has been a bear. I know all about having Christmas be about more than gifts, BUT there are still gifts to be decided, found and bought. I did this with a stressed out, depressed spouse after I worked 60 hours this week. Lovely. Yes. We ate dinner in the car in the Loew's parking lot. (Actually, this was at my request-dark and quiet atmosphere was the goal). So, we had a great many hours together with thousands of other couples experiencing the same thing. It would be nice if Bari could TRY to enjoy shopping, for maybe just a store or 2. I understand the stress and depression of money at the holidays. I was a single mom for a couple of years. Now, I have never been excessive about gifts for any occasion, birthdays to christmas. But it is really hard with so many children and in-laws. Next year I'm sure we'll be done with ol'Santa, and I'm going to stress (EARLY) about gifts of the heart and service for others. I don't really think my mother-in-law would mind a day of free labor from my kids sometime, instead of another gardening trinket that she really doesn't need.
So- there, I feel a bit better having vented that to my sisters who I dearly love, and not my Eternal Companion who I love with all my heart and soul. I leave you -all with my testimony of my love of the Savior. He lives. He is my constant companion-wherever I may be. I will love Christmas Eve when we sit together with candles lit, and read the nativity story. I love that Christ walked the earth, just as we do, he had relationships, a job and trials, just as we do. I am grateful that he spent time here on earth being a Man, preparing to be a God. Just as we are.
I love you all. Merry Christmas.

4 comments:

AJ said...

I love Christmas, but it does come with it's share of trials, doesn't it? So how's that Christmas shopping coming? I hope it goes well and that you have a very Merry Christmas!

Louann and Bari said...

Thanks AJ- I feel better now that I have something for Bari. Last night after dinner (and church) I went to my frame store and was able to frame 2 pieces for him. One was our Sealing Certificate, and the other was a collage of the Nauvoo pamphlet, postcard of the hotel where we stayed, the letter from the Temple with time and date of Sealing, and our 2 yellow tags we wore at the temple. For putting them together in 2 hours, they really look good. I had found the certificate right before we left for church, so it was a last minute thing. So- like I said, I feel better now. Thanks for asking.

Sarah said...

Congrats on finishing the shopping! It's never too late, I got mine done this morning...oops! I understand the shopping frustrations. Scott was "with me" while we did shopping, but I'm still showing him what we got for the kids, family, etc. It might have been easier to do it alone! But it counts as time together whether they enjoy it or not, right?

ANTSYLLI said...

Eating dinner in the Lowe's parking lot sounds exactly like what I would have chosen! You are right about having to take time with your sweetheart when you can. I am glad that you got things finished. One thing I have learned is that each year is different. Some can be more stressful than others. You survived this one so hopefully next year will be better. Thanks for sharing your testimony of Christ. We love your family so much. Merry Christmas.