Wednesday, December 26, 2007

It was a Merry Christmas

All is well at the Cruze-Benroth household. We survived the day quite well. There were only a couple of minor meltdowns.
Christmas Eve was busy, we baked most of the day. Whoever said the Mom is the heart of the home wasn't kidding. There was more than once when I was surrounded by many children, all just following along. I made roll-out sugar cookies, Toll House with mini-M&M's, and Madeline baked her first cake. Later (much later- 1 or 2am) I finished the Pumpkin Roll I promised Katy, and some Snickerdoodles I promised Joey. Come to think about it, that was about the same time as my one and only meltdown. Anyway, I regress. Throughout the evening, Sam checked the computer on the NORAD tracking Santa. It is a real kick if you have little ones still in the house. At 10pm we read the Nativity story from Luke and then Bari asked who wanted to go and see the live nativity in Mt Healthy. The kids liked it. I was dissapointed at the behavior of some adults there. We got back home around 11 and sent Sam and Madeline right to bed. I finished baking and got to bed sometime around 3.
Christmas morning was fun. We woke all the left-over sleepy heads at 8:30. It was fun to see how excited the kids got when they shared their Secret Santa gifts with each other. At the end of all the presents, I was going to send the kids downstairs and then realized that I had forgotten to give Josh (the boyfriend) his gift. It was sitting in my bedroom because Madeline had started teasing him that I had gotten him a bird (or some pet) for Christmas. Bari, Katy and Madeline were all in on the joke. They ran to my room and kept whispering back and forth, 'don't hurt it! Don't shake the box!" When they finally brought it back out, Katy had punched holes in the box to make it look like there was something live in it. Josh was really suprized to find a double cd set of Harry Potter! (And I think a little relieved, too). We had all of us and 2 Elders for lunch. It was nice. I had gotten a Honey Baked Ham from work and was able to make a nice lunch with it. After all of that, we cleaned up the dishes and started building the corner desk Madeline had gotten. I took Joey back to Eastgate around 5, came back, finished the desk, put together Sam's Rock Drilling kit (I love Grandma's) and finally crashed at about 10:30.
I didn't have to work today. Our store was closed (we always stay closed the day after Christmas. Madeline has been waiting for friends to call all day. It is 5:15, I don't think it is going to happen. I was able to finish a watercolor painting of a house for one of my assistants. I wanted to give it to her before Christmas, but that didn't happen. I 'm really pretty happy with this one. I think it turned out well. My camera is broken at the moment, I'm hoping to get it fixed soon, so I can get a photo copy of it. Sam and Madeline have been fighting all day. Lovely.
I was just asked what we were having for dinner. I don't think it's going to be ham.
Love you all!!!!

6 comments:

chelle said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday!
It is so nice your blended families get along so well. What a blessing!
Merry Christmas and here's to a great New Year!

Papa D said...

Whenever we cook ham, thinking it will last a couple of days, it's gone in a few hours instead. Such is life with lots of kids.

Dory said...

Merry Christmas! I'm glad you had a nice holiday and thank you for teaching Jackson. Jackson said "they're nice and they bring snacks." You're great!

Mama D said...

Glad that you enjoyed your long day! You are a trooper, doing all of that baking so late into the night so your kids could have their favorites!

Merry Christmas! Love you, too!

Corrie- said...

Your holidays sound busy, but family-filled and fun. You're a terrific mom. Merry Christmas!

ANTSYLLI said...

I'm glad that your holiday went well. We love your family. Laughed really hard at the joke played on Katy's boyfriend.