Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sometimes . . . . .

Sometimes we have to do really hard things in our life. Things that we don't choose to do, but things that we know are the right thing to do. Or we are prompted to do. Life is not always easy. Sometimes we just have to do hard things because no one else can do them. Not because they don't want to, but because they are paralized and can't do them. Last weekend was one of those times.

I gave the eulogy for my little niece on Saturday. I have no idea how many people were there. (Lots). I got really nervous as we were driving to the church. It was one of those things that no one wants to do. I felt compelled to speak for the family. (And I was asked by my brother-in-law).

I am grateful that I have had a lifetime of service in the church, teaching and speaking, that I wasn't paralized, that I could express the love Maddy had for life, and her family. It was the most difficult speech I have ever given, I cryed, but got through it.

Most importantly, the family was appreciative. They knew I spoke for them, through them to everyone else who was there grieving.

Prayer made it possible. Prayer is beautiful.

4 comments:

Patty said...

I'm sure that your eulogy was beautiful. You have a great talent for saying the right things.
I'm certainly learning the value of doing the hard things (which are different for everyone!) It's been a real blessing to have to learn to talk and give lessons in church, even if I would still rather have that fall to someone else.

Sarah said...

You are amazing! I couldn't have done it even with everything I've spent my life learning in the Church. I'm impressed. I hope that the family is doing ok.

Mama D said...

There are some really tough things in life. I love the way you worded this, about people not doing some things not because they don't want to but because they are paralyzed and can't.

I'm sure your eulogy was touching and heartfelt and sincere. Prayer is a wonderful, comforting blessing!

Unknown said...

Stumbled across your blog this week, and I was sad to read about the challenges you have faced. Please give everyone our love - "Little" Bari (not so little anymore) told me about his cousin regularly. I pray that he is finding some peace through all of this. To all of you – may your bond as a family provide the peace and serenity to get through a tough time.