Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My sister - - -

When I was growing up, my older sister Ellen and I were best friends. In fact, we were so close we were called 'the twins'.

This week I was walking through Kroger- just an average day doing average things - and it hit me. Somewhere, my sister was also doing mundane average things too. Somewhere she was shopping for groceries, picking up her mail, driving to work listening to the traffic report on the radio. I'm not really sure where she is.

Also this week I started thinking about a friend of mine who's sister had passed away 5 years ago, sometime around this time of year. It was a surprise, a tragedy for the family. I never knew the sister. But I do know how much she is loved and missed.

My sister is here- somewhere in Michigan- I think. She isn't talking to the family. Or my mom. It is a tragedy for my family. As hard as this is - we (my brother and older sis) and I have come to realize that this is her choice- not ours. She has to live with her choice. Unfortunately, we also have to live with her choices - even more so because it all involves my mom.

My friends sister will not return to this earth. I cannot imagine the feeling of loss - as a sister or as a mother. My heart weeps for them.

I miss my sister. I am in mourning for her friendship. I will always love her.

3 comments:

Mama D said...

What a tender tribute to a beloved sister. Though it seems improbable now, don't ever give up hope of an eventual reconciliation.

chelle said...

I am the bad one in my family. I chose to cut my sister out of my life. It was wearing be beyond thin to have to deal with her and all of her many problems that she brings upon herself. And she lives less than 5 minutes from me. I feel guilty at times but I just can't follow the counsel to bless that dispitefully use you ( or something like that) I know it is totally unchristian of me. And I will probably pay dearly for it. But you gotta do what you gotta do. For your own sanity. I am not saying this to make you feel like she left because you all were too demanding and using her to no end. Sorry if it sounded like it.
I have never had a close relationship with my sister. She was always obviously favored growing up and I took the blame and fall for her countless times. And even as an adult it still continued. So I cut that cord after much heartache and pain.
Anyway I hope your sister comes around soon and all will be well.

Louann and Bari said...

Chelle, I'm sorry your relationship with your sis has always been less than perfect. It is a difficult road when you must leave behind relatives no matter what the reason.
We suspect my sisters husband has a heavy hand in her choice to stay away from us.