Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Katy news and other stuff

 First, thanks for all the kind messages about my birthday. I really do appreciate it all. There is a kinda funny (I guess it's funny) story about what Bari (Big Bari- not little bari) said the day before the Big Day. He knew I was trying really hard to get over the whole 50 thing- and he said, "honey, now, you know my Mom. Well, she's in her 60's right? And she's happy. . . . . and your Mom, she's what now? [  me answering  . . "going to be 85 sweetheart"],   yep, 85, and She's happy Right?."  Well there you go. I guess they all made it through 50 to the happier years.
    - - - - Please - - - -someone - - - -explain to me how Men think.


So, this past weekend was the opening of the Home and Garden Show at the Convention Center. Sat and Sun and then again today (Wednesday) through next Sunday. We weren't exactly sure what to expect, or how to market for this. But Bari made a really nice postcard type coupon to either sell, or give away as information on our Family Sessions. By the end of the weekend, we had given (and talked to) almost 700 people. We explained our 'on location' family/group/baby/high school seniors sessions and briefly how they worked. Just handing out info without any explanation would be a waste of time. Anyway, so far it has been a very good experience for us. The real surprise in all of this is the number of interested brides we had. Infact, we have already booked one wedding from the show. Weird. Can you hear that conversations with her bridesmaids? "where did you find your photographers?"     "Oh, at the Home and GARDEN Show!". And to top it all off, it is a location wedding on a plantation in South Carolina. Yea. No kidding.

  So, Bari is there tonight and tomorrow during the day, I'll go afterwork tomorrow and he will be there Friday all day. Both of us will be there this weekend (but I'll go Sunday after I teach my RS lesson). It is a BIG commitment, but so far it is worth it.

  Now, the Katy news isn't great. She is feeling pretty good and little William is terrific. The twins seem to be thriving. Unfortunately, Katy's challenged by her weak kidney. If you don't know, she had surgery when she was 4 years old to remove her left kidney. The right side kidney is rounded and scarred. The Drs said the remaining kidney is functioning, but there is a problem. I don't want to go into detail, and honestly, I don't know all the details, but it is safe to say that the Drs don't think the problem is related to the pregnancy. So, long story short, she is going to be admitted to University Hosp in about a month. She has to stay till the babies come, and even stay longer than that. She cannot have any testing on her remaining kidney until the twins are born. So, after the babies are here, they will keep her in the hospital to do all sorts of testing. Worst case scenario,   she will need a transplant in 3-5 years.

 Now, she has a wonderful family who will take William through the week, and Josh will have him on the weekends. The family went through almost this exact same challenge. The mom was on hospital bed rest for the last 2 months of her pregnancy with their twins. So, I don't think there could be a better solution to a terrible problem. This has helped her feel a little better about the whole thing.
  If you would like Katy's phone number, or mailing address, email me and I will be happy to forward it to you. She does not have internet access.

  I know you will keep her and her little family in your thoughts and prayers.

 
 

3 comments:

Shayleen Lunt said...

OMG Louann. I'm happy to hear about your wedding booking, but am so sad to hear about Katy's kidney. I didn't know she had one kidney. My little sister has a ton of kidney problems and they won't let her on the donor list because she has diabetes from it all. I'll be praying for her also and if she's O+, look me up :)

Cassie Rakes said...

Hey Louann, I would love her address! Does she want visitors when she's at the hospital, I'd love to go see her.

Mama D said...

Congrats on the wedding booking, and best wishes for safety, peace, and courage for Katy (and everyone in her family) through the rest of this pregnancy and beyond. What a tough, scary situation!

How old is William now? You should post pics of your grandson!