Monday, March 1, 2010

Stars in your Crown and a bit of news

 I believe there is a special place in Heaven for Elementary School Band Directors.        Yep.        I'm positive.

If you have ever had the privilege of going to a 5th and 6th Grade Band Concert you would certainly agree. After attending Sam's concert last Thursday, I have come to another conclusion.

Strings performances are always accompanied by a piano for one reason.      So you can identify the song that is being 'played'. Yes.     If it weren't for the piano being played throughout the song, the audience would never know where we were on the program.      We had 6 ( S - I - X ) groups of strings play BEFORE Sam's 5th grade band. RRRRReeeeCCCChhhhh               SSSSccccRRRREEEEccchhhhh. Six times. Starting with the 3RD GRADERS. Now, you might ask, "Why don't you think the Strings Teacher deserves an automatic place in Heaven?".                  That is a good question. And there is one simple answer.

Because they are just crazy. Certifiable. They have to be after spending hour after hour in closed rooms with 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th graders making all sorts of insane sounds with their violins (and other such stringed instruments). Yes, they certainly have lost their minds by now.

 I'm just grateful that Sam chose the Trombone and not a string of any kind.
  Last week he showed some interest in learning the piano.    Now, I could live with that.


 p.s.   - - - - - - Katy is doing well, but is on bed rest for a couple of days. And - - - - -- -(I love those little dashes - - -it's a great way to p -a - u- s -e ) And -- she is having twin BOYS!

3 comments:

chelle said...

I agree with you on the band/orchestra teacher thing! And as a parent, I HATE when they combine so many groups to play/sing/whatever, in one night. It's a bit ridiculous. No parent enjoys sitting through someone elses kids screeching!
Congrats to Kati one the boys announcement! I hope she can find the time with a little one running around to actually BE in bed!

Mama D said...

Strings and oboe are the WORST instruments when someone is learning to play them. The oboe screeches just as badly as a string instrument.

Worst concert of my life was a 6th grade one with the oboe (ahem, *trying* to play) Right.In.Front.Of.Me. It was awful! But it is pretty cool to see where the kids are playing a year down the road - and by the time they finish high school, most kids are pretty good!

Congrats to Katy! I hope she gets her bedrest. It's easy to forego with a little one, but it's super important!

Patty said...

I'm in total agreement with you. I love brass instruments but cringe every time I hear a bad note on strings. It's painful. I think they should keep that torture for parents of the ones playing it only.
Yay for twin boys!!