Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tribute to my Father-In-Law

  We got the news this morning that my father-in-law passed away. Bari called me at work and I immediately came home. As anyone who just lost a parent, he is in shock. Bari M. (Gippy), had been ill for several years. I don't know I can name all the health challenges. Arthritis took it's tole, as did some kind of cancer of the tonsils. Like I said, I never knew all the specifics of his ailing health. What I do know, is that Gippy had the flu (or flu-like symptoms) this past week, and this morning he died. 

 I don't think it is possible to stand by your spouse without reliving your own experiences. This morning as I comforted and supported my dear husband, I remembered every moment of the evening my own father passed away. Nothing can prepare you for the inevitable. Even though I have a strong sense of purpose of my mission in life, my belief in Christ and Eternal Family, it is nonetheless, difficult to move forward in this life without a parent. Parents are the strength of the family, the ties of family bonds. Thinking of one parent without their spouse beside them, is terrible. It isn't just your own mourning/sadness/sense of loss, it is the concern of your surviving parents mourning/sadness/sense of loss that can become even more overwhelming.

I can't say enough great things about Bari's parents (all 4 of them!). All have been nothing but gratious, kind and inclusive for my children and myself in their family.

One of the first Christmas' I had with my kids and Gippy & Nana, they were teasing Bari about keeping us - whether or not he married me. They were instantly in love with all the kids and included them in every family activity. The only sadness I ever saw in Gippy was when he would reflect on not spending enough family time together.

The last time I saw Gippy and Nana, was when they came up (they live in Chattanooga), for Bari Ray's Graduation, and was here for the twin's birth also. (It was all on the same night- my family, over-scheduled, as usual). Bari M. and Linda were planning on coming up at New Year's to have Christmas with all the grandkids, and see the twins.

Of course, we have weddings on both Friday, and Saturday. Bari and Bari Ray will drive down to TN tomorrow morning (Wednesday) and come back the next evening (Thursday). We are hoping any funeral arrangements will be scheduled for Sunday, so the whole family will be able to make it back down by then.

3 comments:

Corrie- said...

Oh Louann, I'm so sorry. This kind of news is always shocking, whether it's expected or not. Please know that your family will be in our thoughts and prayers. Our prayer is that the Spirit of Comfort with be with you all now and in the years to come and Bari's dad is remembered and continued to be loved.

Mama D said...

I am so sorry. This was a wonderful tribute to a man who sounds like an amazing role model! I will pray for comfort for your family.

We have had a lot of recent deaths at the nursing home, and no matter how imminent it is (or the relief of the release of pain and suffering), having someone special to you pass away is hard.

Give Bari an extra hug for me.

Patty said...

I'm so sorry. Please tell Bari he's in our thoughts and prayers. I hope everything works out so that you can go as a family on Sunday.