Sunday, January 2, 2011

Saved the Worst for Last. . . . . . .

If you hadn't already heard, my ex-husband passed away on New Year's Eve day. A little over 2 weeks from the death of Bari's father. My ex, and the kids dad, died in Lima from undetermined illness.

So, I was thinking, if the last 2 weeks of 2010 were the positively worst weeks of that year. And the 1st week of 2011 (with Gene's funeral and grieving children) is the worst week of this year, it is all uphill from here, isn't it? Really, if this is the worst week of this year, then it's just about done and overwith.
 

Yes, so, Gippy passed away December 14th, we had a wedding on both, that following Friday and another on Saturday. We all left Cincinnati around 4:30 am on Sunday and made it to Chattanooga in time for the last Viewing and the Funeral. A grandson, close friend, and 2 co-workers spoke before me. We all said almost the same things, -he was a great guy, and he loved Cadillac's.

We came back into town on Monday and went back to work on Tuesday- 12 hour shifts to try to catch up. At that time, I was framing Champagne bottles, 28 of them. The first adhesive I used re-acted to the finish on the frames and I had to pull all of them apart and start over. Nothing like doing something TWICE. Anyway, they turned out just fine.


That next weekend was Christmas. Christmas Eve I worked (of course), and we went to Bari's mom's. Christmas Day we all met at Katy's house for dinner. Joey was able to get a ride there, and  Dane and his wife drove up from Ft Knox. When I walked in, Katy told me that Diane (her step-mom), had called, and that her (Katy's) Dad was in the hospital with a fever of 104. She didn't have much information, and later in the evening I asked her to call back and find out what was going on. She was able to talk with both Gene and Diane. Diane had taken Gene to the hospital the night before because he had flu like symptoms that were getting worse. Diane told Katy that Gene had a blood infection. Both Bari and I knew that was very serious.

Joey was able to get permission to visit his dad in Lima the next day, so I drove all of my kids, Katy, Sam, Madeline, and Joey to Lima first thing in the morning. We stayed about an hour and a half. Diane stopped in for 20 minutes or so. Gene really didn't seem to feel well, but he acted just like his old self.  He did take time to ask each of the kids a question, and try to include them in the conversation. I don't think any of us (adults) left with the assurance he was going to get better soon. It just seemed as if he wasn't getting better at all, and that was a big problem that we all recognized.  The next day, Gene's oldest son -Dane- visited, too.

 Katy called her dad every day the next week. Thursday night she was distressed that he seemed quite bad off. He took a lot of time to answer her questions, and then the answers were one word answers. Friday morning - New Years Eve Day, she got the call that if they wanted to see their dad, they better hurry and get to Lima quickly. There wasn't any way to get ahold of Joey, but the 3 others were able to drop everything and drive up I75 that morning. Dane and his wife were notified and they showed up later in the afternoon.

From what I understand, at some point in the week, Gene had a heart attack. This possibly changed the oxygen level to his brain, and that was why he was having trouble talking to Katy. When the kids got to the hospital, Gene was already on life support. They think he was still lucid enough to know they were there, but Katy isn't sure of that. Anyway, things got worse quickly, the doctors tried everything, and finally Katy said that her dad would not have wanted heroic measures to keep him alive. Diane agreed, and said she just didn't have the strength to step up and stop it. Katy said that the kids did a little better when they saw him without all the iv's and tubes and things. Unfortunately, they stayed by his bedside watching every last breath and heart beat. I can't imagine how traumatic that is.

They all drove back later in the day. I felt so bad for Katy, she was emotionally and physically exhausted.

So, the funeral is Wednesday the 5th, at 9 (!!!!) in the morning, actually, the visitation at the church (LDS church in Lima) is at 9, the funeral is at 10. And yes, I was asked to speak. No matter how strange that is, it does give me the opportunity to tell my children all the good things about their father. Yes, there were a few.

I will be picking up Joey at 5:30 Wednesday morning and we will drive up with Sam and Madeline to Lima.

I feel bad for Sam and Madeline. They started their Christmas break with a funeral, and ended with a funeral. Pray for the kids.

4 comments:

Corrie- said...

Oh my goodness, what a trial and a loss for your family. I'm so sorry! We will continue to pray for you all.

Patty said...

I'm so sorry for your kids' loss and for all that you've been through lately. Let's hope the new year really does just go up from here. I love you.

Mama D said...

Tragic. I'm so sorry for your kids and you with all that you've gone through recently. Even with the trauma of watching their dad die, there may be some good that comes from that. At the very least, it certainly offers you an opportunity for many deep discussions with your kids! Cyber hugs and sincere prayers for all of you!!

heather said...

I am so sorry for your crappy end of the year events. I know you mentioned a funeral in RS but i just assumed it was Bari's dad you were talking about. I hope you have a long period of uneventfulness in the upcoming year.