Friday, January 7, 2011

Follow up

 I just wanted to finish up with notes about the funeral.

Katy left Monday early afternoon (not before taking Henry to the Dr's office because of a little cough) and drove to Clyde to see my Mom. Of everything that was going on. This is the one event I would have loved to been a part of. Mom saw the twins for the first time. We could have had a 4 generation picture. Well, hopefully, we will all be able to manage a trip at the same time sometime this summer. Anyway, they went to Clyde on Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday night they went to Lima and had dinner with Dane and his wife Yuka, and Diane and her family. I guess it was ok, except the boys were all tired and very confused. (Translated, that means they were very Cranky).

I picked up Joey the next morning at 5:30. Sam, Madeline, Joey and I all drove up to Lima from there.

We got to the Church around 8. There was only 1 vehicle in the parking lot, a Council on Aging bus. I did think that was a little weird, but didn't really pay attention very much. Then, as the bus drove past us, it slowed down, and the driver rolled down the window. The driver was an old college friend that I had lost track of years ago. Kathi and I had known each other at Bluffton, but had gotten really close when Gene and I had moved to Columbus Grove. Katy and Joey were small, and we would go to Kathi's house every Friday night when Dane and Gene went to the basketball games. Kathi had a daughter- Samantha, who was Joey's age.
  It was so good to see her. She had found the Obituary on Gene in the paper and stopped by to see if she knew anyone. The timing could not have been any more perfect. We are planning on getting together really soon. I can't wait until she meets Bari.

 Anyway, Kathi had to leave, so we went on into the church and saw lots of people I hadn't seen for 10 or more years. It was strange. Thea, Gene's younger sister, asked me how I was doing. I put my hands out in front of me- about a foot apart from each other. I said, "It's like this. Today is just this part of my life". I couldn't express how it all took me back to 20-25 years ago. Which has nothing to do with where I am today. Like I said, it was strange.

So, the Bishop who presided over the memorial - oh, side note, Diane had Gene cremated, so there wasn't a casket or urn, or anything. - Sorry, back to what I was saying, The Bishop who was presiding was the Dr who delivered Madeline, and the same Dr who rode in the ambulance when Katy had her seizure when she was 4. He got pretty emotional when he gave a little concluding talk. Anyway, Gene's brother-in-law gave a talk on the purpose of life. He did a good job, then I spoke. I guess it went well. I was able to tell Diane that we all knew how much she meant to Gene, how happy he was when she came into his life. And I talked to the kids about their dad, how he had a testimony of the Divinity of Christ, and how important it was to him. Then, Dane got up and spoke a couple of minutes. He was in his full dress uniform - he serves in the Army. Gene would have been so proud.
There was a really nice luncheon afterward and lots of the guests stayed and visited. The chapel was full for the memorial.

 Madeline rode back with Katy and Josh. Katy was exhausted. I don't know if she has gotten any sleep yet. Madeline had a basketball game, dinner with the cheerleaders, and dance. She was ready to stop crying and try to get some normality back into her life. We'll see how she does. I still worry about her.

So, I just had Sam and Joey with me on the way back. We stopped at the Uno's in West Chester. It was a pretty big splurge to go out to eat, but I sure felt that we deserved it. Oh, Joey had a suit jacket and suit pants, white shirt and tie. Besides Katy's wedding and prom, I don't remember the last time I had seen him dressed up.

Not having a casket or graveside services was the hardest on Joey. He said that it didn't seem finished. There was no real closure for him. That might pass in time, we'll see. He was the most emotional at the memorial.

Diane said that she would put a marker for Gene in the cemetery where his parents and grandparents are buried. His ashes will go to her family farm. I think she will eventually settle there in a couple of years.


So, today, at 5 o'clock when my workday ended, Lynne and I decided that the New Year would  officially begin (again) for us. This first week sucked. It was time to start over. Sooooo

Happy New Year - 2011 ! I think I am finally ready for YOU!

2 comments:

Mama D said...

You know, trying to look for a positive, the rest of the year can only go UP!

I hope 2011 brings all of you peace, comfort, and healing. <3

Patty said...

I hope that you can all move on and find comfort and joy in this new year.
Love you.