Monday, October 22, 2007

Sister Beck

I missed Sister Beck's General Conference talk a couple of Sunday's ago. With all the discussion, I knew I needed to read it for myself. At the Gen'l Women's Conference, I was totally impressed with her direction for the sisters. She spoke with a women's perspective and with power.
This evening I finally had the chance to read her Gen'l Conf talk. I had already heard quite a lot of it this last week in Sacrament. It was as powerful as the first.
I'm a working mom. I don't know exactly how many sisters who read this work full time. I put in anywhere from 34 to 40 hours a week. It is not unknown for me to work 40+ hours - even up to 50 in a week. I don't want to offend anyone. I'm just writing my own thoughts and perceptions for my own life. Anyway, you get the idea, I work a lot outside the home. I don't want to work so much, but right now, it is a necessary evil. If Bari and I had started our lives together earlier, right after college, we wouldn't have the challenges we have now. I wouldn't need to work as much. So, here I am - with a RS Gen'l Pres saying, - you can do this ! And this is all you have to do-and then she lists everything I have ever heard that families should strive to do to stay strong and focused. Ok. In reading the list I came to one conclusion, I don't have time. Literally, there is not enough time for me to accomplish everything that is on my plate. Many of you know (it's been pretty obvious) that I've been a little down lately. I've really felt the guilt for everything that moves on earth. You know the feeling. Well, after hearing the talks from this exemplary sister, -and knowing I CAN'T ACCOMPLISH THIS- something amazing and suprising happened. I didn't feel bad anymore. I know I'm doing what I should, I know I'm doing the best I can. Am I doing the 'very best' ? Yes, sometimes I am. It might not be as good as someone elses "very best'- but it's mine. I do need to dig deeper, have more meaningful Family Nights, organize my family better. All those things that I was a little annoyed that no one else prepared, or organized, I found out were MY responcibilities all a long. I just needed to SUCK IT UP !!!!!
Live-Life/Love-Life

3 comments:

Papa D said...

I always have said that people hear whatever they are able and willing to hear. I also am a guy, so I am not qualified to speak about this particular talk - no matter how well I am in touch with my femininity.

Patty said...

Louann, you are such an amazing woman! I have an idea of how little time you have and I know that you use what time you do have at home to show your family that you love them. I hope that someday things will change enough to allow you to have the time to do more of what you want to be doing, but I think you're doing an admirable job already!

Mama D said...

Thanks for sharing your perspective on this talk. I think we often truly ARE doing our "best" but because it's not everything, all at the same time, we feel guilty and think we aren't doing our "best." For example, I can be my best at paying tithing, while still not being my best at controlling my temper.

I think each of the wonderful sisters (sorry, Ray) who are in our blogosphere really are doing their best overall... even as they try to improve on a daily basis.

Go, us! (See, ladies, I don't always spiral negatively! lol)