Tuesday, October 23, 2007

take your pick...

Take your pick, I'm either A: the mean Mom, B: too uptight for my own good, or C: Just Too Old.
I was at the cub scout pack meeting tonight (or was it a Den meeting? I always get those confused), ANY way- there were many little boys running around the church. Several wore hats (one was a cub hat-very cute). There was some name/game boy stuff going on. And, my son was doing (I think) summersaults in the Primary room. Now - let there be NO misunderstanding. Our Sisters were in charge of both the Fairfield Ward boys and the Hamilton boys. They had a 'down on the farm' theme. It was FABULOUS !!!! The boys loved it, (all the stations) - they moved from room to room well, and were in control. If the boys got loud, or distracted, the sisters got their attention back. Like I said, it went really well.
So, I'm sure I'm the Mean Mom. I stopped 2-3 boys in the hallway that were not just running, but all-out sprinting, and told them to not run and reminded them where they were. (These were not our boys). I wanted the boys with the hats to take them off inside the church building (the boy with the cub hat did for a while)- again, these were not our boys.
I must be Old School (oooh- choice D). I think we have gotten lax in our treatment of the building, how we dress and how we act when we are there. I don't think we need to wear dresses or skirts every time we enter. But I think the sloppy sports shorts, and pajama bottoms are not appropriate. (and yes- I'm fully aware my daughter wore gouchos on Sunday). I don't mind running and sports in the building if it is in the gym. Tonight with the cubs would be the exception for that, and it was very controlled.
So, are we raising the bar? Isn't that what we've been asked to do?

Do I have a conclusion? Nope, I'm just old, and old school, and up tight, and just a Mean Mom.
And thanks for letting every one of my multiple personalities vent for a while.

Tonight really was a nice night for the boys. Karlin, Heather, and Leslie did a really great job- and I appreciate all they do to help my boy succeed in scouting.
Live-Life/Love-Life

5 comments:

Patty said...

I'm afraid that the general lack of respect and reverence in the world in general is starting to filter down into our behaviors at church also. It's hard to explain to a teenage girl why it's not ok to wear certain clothes to church on Sunday when she sees others doing it. I think somewhere along the way we lost the whole point of "Sunday best" in regards to dress and behavior. I don't want to be completely negative though- there are a LOT of members who show great respect and reverence not only at church but also in their daily lives and I applaud their efforts and examples. I guess we all have to learn and grow at our own pace, and try to be patient with others (and hopefully try to set the example we want them to follow.)

chelle said...

I agree with both you and Patty. It is very hard to teach that to kids who think.."I just made it through 3 hours of church..time to run!!" is it right..no. But, at least they are there and they DID make it through 3 hours of church. As for the weekly activities. I think they are in general thought of as "fun" so it is easy to get carried away there. I have no answers to the solution on this one. My kids have been the ones running in the halls AND wearing a hat in the building (even during Sacrament). =\

Louann and Bari said...

Gosh chelle, I forgot about your son's passion for his hat. I don't know what to say. Your both right, I need to be patient, and everybody has to make choices for their own situation. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just tired, and crabby and venting when maybe I should have kept my mouth closed (or my fingers quiet).

chelle said...

Lou you didn't offend me in the least little bit. And this is a place where we can express our frustrations and offer support. Don't ever feel bad for expressing what YOUR feelings.

Mama D said...

I'm glad that the activity went well -- Karlin, Heather, and Leslie are GREAT at being prepared, planning wonderful activities, and being patient and redirecting the kids when they get restless.

It sounds like not all of the hats were cub scout hats, but I think at a cub activity hats could be encouraged as part of the uniform and would be okay in the building.

"Sunday behavior" is an individual and family thing. What is okay for some isn't okay for others. We're all saying the same thing about tolerance. :]

Having said that, when Corrie was the Pri pres, she really focused on using "Pri feet" in the halls (no running, etc). It made a HUGE difference. (Kind of like Bp Rosenberg's focus on reverence in the chapel.)

I think we all just help to focus on our little sphere (family, calling stewardship) to reinforce these appropriate behaviors.

Lou, thanks for sharing your view
-- and for doing it in such a positive way. You saw the good in the activity, even though there were individual situations you didn't like.