Friday, October 12, 2007

The Witness

I had a couple of things happen lately that got me thinking. Well, before I start I think you should know something about me. You may or may not know about a weird obsession I have. I like to talk to people in the grocery store lines. I usually find something to say to the person behind me in line (much to the dismay of my children). Actually, (although I am rather shy about introducing myself to new people in the ward)- I will talk to complete strangers. This is what happened this week.
Next door to my store is a dry cleaner. The owner is James (I know this because I've seen his business card- not because I've actually introduced myself). Anyway, one day his door was open and I stuck my head in his store and said that I was worried about him because he works soooo many hours (even more than me). We talked a little while. He said he had a wife but no children and it didn't bother him to work so much. "Actually," he said," I like what I do, so it isn't a burden to work." He likes what he does, he works at a dry cleaners! I kept thinking about that over and over. I never expected anyone actually liking to work (at what I supposed was a boring job) at a dry cleaners. Then, a little later in the week, I had another interesting conversation. I was at Kroger (suprise there), and I started talking to the man behind me in line. He was dressed in brown and I (using all my Nancy Drew skills) assessed that he worked for UPS. Bari has been thinking about trying to work part time for them, so I thought I'd talk to this man about his experiences. He had been with them almost 21 years. Then he said "It's God's will that I'm with this company. When God moves me to something else, I'll go. It's God's will and you have to listen and move in that direction." I was suprised to hear his testimony right there in the Kroger line. I thought, "he was Witnessing to me. But he didn't know that I already know the truth."
I kept pondering these 2 conversations. James is at the dry cleaners and perfectly happy. God works on his life whether or not he knows it. The UPS guy knows God is working in his life everyday. I start wondering about my own life, am I listening? Am I moving toward what the Lord wants for me? I also absolutely loved how the UPS guy felt completely comfortable in confessing the relationship he has with the Lord. I love the 'witnessing' from all people who love Christ, LDS or not. I gives me hope and strength anytime I hear 'witnessing' of Christ.
Live-Life/Love-Life

4 comments:

Papa D said...

Amen. It's cool to see how He works in the lives of all who are to Him.

Dory said...

I love it when that happens. It always reminds me that I should be doing the same and that I shouldn't be so self-conscience about it. Sharing testimony doesn't scare most people away, it inspires them. It does me, thanks Louann.

Leslie said...

I love you and your blog! You always uplift me!

chelle said...

How cool. I wish I was more willing to do just that. I am often to shy to even look at most people. I have gotten way better than I used to be but still hold on to those tendencies. I would love to be able to boldly declare how Christ has helped me in situations. I can easily do that in writting it seems but in person...eek I would fumble my words teribly. You are an amzing woman. I love to watch you with your children. They are truely lucky to have you for a mom. Embarassing moments and all. :D
I also love to watch Bari as he grows int he gospel. Not that I knew him before..but I see how far he has come since we have "known" him. I love your family and how ell blended you all seem. (another way Christ was working in you life huh?!?)