Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Final Score-Cats :2 vs Birds:0

We used to have 4 Cocktails in our living room. (Yes, this isn't going to be pretty).

They - Elvis, Ozzy, Moe, and Cosmo lived happily (I would guess) in a very large green cage in the corner of my dining room. They had every thing a captive bird could want. Elvis was the first, Katy bought him over 7 years ago from a breeder. She got Ozzy from a friend of her brothers about 6 years ago. Not long after that, I bought Cosmo for Bari for Christmas. We weren't married yet, so it was a weird kind of gift. That was about 5 years ago. Then, my boss gave us Moe about 4 years ago. Moe was the bosses' sons pet. Moe was the least liked of the bunch. (or flock as it may be).

Fast forward to Mother's Day this year. Bari and I choose 2 beautiful male European Burmese kittens (6 months- so they weren't too little) for our new family pets... All is well. For a while. Then we spy Jay sitting on top of the bird cage. Now, I have to explain that the cage is fairly large. It stands almost as tall as I am, and is at least 3 feet wide on each side. We bought it at a bird show, so it is a standard type cage for this breed. Ok- so there is Jay, on top. At night we'll put a blanket over the cage to keep the birds quiet in the mornings. A couple of times, I heard strange noises, only to find Jay UNDER the blanket that was COVERING the cage. We went full-scale trying to discourage the cats from being near the cage. Then one day last week, I heard the vacuum going at 7 in the morning. Uh-oh, this can't be good. Bari was cleaning up the feather fest from the living room and hallway. The cats got a hold of Moe. Jonesy looked pretty guilty, but I think he just got Jay's left overs. So, we work even harder at keeping the cats at bay.

Tragedy strikes Monday morning - 4:30am. There is pounding at our door. It is Madeline screaming "Cosmo! Cosmo!" Yep, Sure enough, Cosmo is outside our door, looking like dinner. (Or maybe a really early breakfast). He was still alive (in his own little birdy voice calling for help), when Madeline found him. Did you know that not all Vet's offices take birds? Well, none of the 24 hour pet hospitals take birds. So, off we go to Wyoming at 8 the next morning, with our little chewed bird in a Little Debbie box. So sad. They kept him over night, and even considered an amputation of the wing (there was muscle damage). But what got him in the end was the bacterial infection from the cat bites. - Side note, oddly enough, Bari brought home KFC that night (which rarely happens) and instead of the regular dinners, brought home WINGS-(he has never brought home wings before). Maybe Jonesy had an accomplice.

OK- back to the story, after $200 of treatment (our absolute limit), he was pronounced incurable. Even if they took the wing, the infection was too bad. Now, another decision. If we have him cremated, it would cost $80 !!!!!! Oh, no thank you, I'll just pick him up and bury him myself. So, I did just that, (went and picked him up) and they sent him home in a little box. Well, Sam and Madeline wanted to see him. The last time I saw him he looked a little plucked. But, I opened the box and there he was, all dead and all, but with a little (no kidding) PURPLE cast on his wing! In an odd way, I think that purple cast helped the kids know that they did everything they could for him.

We have yet to hear from the fish. Maybe I'd better start counting.

ps, the rest of the birds have now been moved to the spare downstairs room. I just hope someone remembers to feed them. Katy better hurry up and take them.....soon.

5 comments:

Steve and Jamie said...

Oh, so sad! I'm sorry you lost your pretty little bird.

Mama D said...

W-o-w! Sorry about your birds.

But in a perverse sort of way, I got a good laugh out of the way you phrased this part: "Bari was cleaning up the feather fest..."

I guess the cats enjoyed their "feather fest" a little too much for the rest of us.

Patty said...

RIP Cosmo and Moe. Poor little guys probably didn't stand a chance against Jay (I'm with you on thinking that Jonesy is just an accomplice!)

Cassie Rakes said...

Oh man. Sorry about everything, especially the bill especially since it wasn't a very good ending for the bird.

chelle said...

Aww how sad. Those darn cats!! Good thing so cute I guess. Too bad life isn't like cartoons. This reminds me of Sylvester and Tweetie. But, Tweetie always made it...even after she was in Sylvester's mouth!
So sorry Cruz family. :(