Saturday, September 27, 2008

the Job ........ Part II

So, after much debate with Bari and all the little voices in my head I made some interesting discoveries.
1. My job is flexable - - -FLEXABLE- -- - I can leave for a couple of hours in the middle of the day (under certain conditions) and not be repremanded, or fired.

2. Money is not the most important thing. This was a BIG suprize (especially with Madeline's 10 (TEN) dance classes this year).

3. Spending time with my family is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING.

4. The ability to schedule my work around weddings and wedding meetings is SECOND in importance to me right now.

5. All the confusion came into the picture after the job interview. I wasn't really happy about leaving Kenwood, but I certainly wasn't confused about it.

With all that figured out. (Thank you for all the support, I know I was a little testy about it, but I really did appreciate it). Anyway, with all that figured out, I met with my boss on Friday. I was working alone, so it was really easy to call him and ask him to stop by. The conversation was pretty simple. I told him I had the opportunity to leave Fastframe and take a framing position with another company. That I felt that even though I made scheduling difficult for him sometimes, I did take my responciblilites seriously, would go back to work late at night after the kids were in bed if need be. I have always been the Senior framer, taking on the most complicated pieces and giving advice to the other framers if they got in trouble with their projects. I also told Bruce that I knew he had been loyal to me through the years, allowing me to take extra days off if needed, and changing my schedule to accomidate the kids activities.

Most of all, I told him that I was just going to be honest and not play games concerning this job offer. I said that I always was straight forward with what I needed and expected the same from him. If I ask for a bonus, then I expect that request taken seriously, and that he would do his best to fight for me when he relayed this to his boss. I also said that if he - after taking my request to the owner- came back and said that it just wasn't possible, I would trust him to be truthful.

We had quite a talk. Bruce went on for a while about why none of us had gotten raises, etc. I expected this. I told him it wasn't about the money. What I really wanted was another week of paid vacation. It would be such a benefit to be able to take off more time and not lose pay over it. It's not like I stay home and watch soaps when I'm off. Usually I'm helping Katy or Joey with their appointments and meetings.

Anyway, Bruce said that he would talk to Marty about it. That's all I can ask.

I'm not going to Deck the Walls. I'm going to Tri-County, even if I don't get the extra week. If the kids that are at home were older, or out of the house. I would take the offer. But right now, I need the flexability more than anything else. I doubt if the new job could offer that, and I would feel terrible (and stressed) if there was a problem and had to leave during my shift. I'm going to call him Monday and thank him for his time and consideration, but I'm staying.

I feel calm again.
That's a good sign.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Good for you. Sometimes it's a blessing to have another door open, to help us see the good in the door that we already have.

Love you, and best of luck!

Shayleen Lunt said...

I'm so glad you are at peace! We missed you today. I hope your migraine goes away soon!

Steve and Jamie said...

Girl, you've had your fair share of drama the last little while. Even if you can't get extra vacation, you need a break--even just a date with your husband. Call me if you need a little help with the kids.

Patty said...

Ditto to all the previous comments! I'm glad to hear that things are working out in a way you are comfortable with! Wanna do lunch sometime once you're up at Tri-county??

chelle said...

WOW! I just got a chance to read all of your latest posts. What an eventful week you have had! I am glad that things are working out for you. And maybe some of your clients from the other store will follow you! I would think those clients would be willing to take the extra time to get something really great.