Monday, September 24, 2007

thoughts on jobs

We were watching Dirtiest Jobs Sat night and there was a crew of men painting the Mackinac Bridge. It is 5 miles long, and I don't know how high. The TV personality (Mike) was with a crew member in side one of the towers. It was extremely difficult to manuver around in the little cell/area where he was painting. There were over 1000 of these spaces to sand and paint.
Mike made the comment that no one ever sees this guy do this difficult job. If, however, the job doesn't get done, the integrity of the bridge could be compromised. Mike asked the crewman why he does it, the man answered "because, it need to be done, and somebody has to do it." I've been thinking about that a lot this weekend. There are a lot of jobs that just 'need doin'. How many jobs do we have responsibility for that we don't ever get recognition for? I bet we have more things to do that aren't recognized, than those which are recognized. Of course we-as women- don't go through our day doing things that only gain attention. I was also watching (I think it's called) -Jim and Kate Makes Eight. Anyway, it's a reality type show with this couple who have a set of twins, and a set of quads. 6 kids all under the age of ????? I don't know , but the quads are really little, maybe 2. At one point in the show, Kate told about giving the quads their breathing treatments in the afternoon. She said something with an attitude like- this really interrupts her day (the breathing treatments). I was shocked. Who is going to tell this mom that -This Is Her Day- 6 little kids, it isn't going to get much better. I know how she feels, I had a period of time when all the kids stuff-the bus, the homework, dinner, whatever- all were interruptions. I finally Got A Clue----this IS my life, this is not an exception to it!!!! That made everything better. When I stopped looking for what I thought I should be doing, and realized that I was doing it (to the best of my sanity at the moment)-Life got soooo much easier.
Now don't be fooled, I really don't spend my days watching TV-
Live/Life-Love/Life

3 comments:

Mama D said...

You make me laugh! I think you watch TV but don't want any of us to know just how often... lol

Thanks for the perspective. It's important to realize that we *chose* our lives -- our kids, hubbies, church, etc -- and like you said, they *aren't* interruptions they *are* our life!

Leslie said...

Thank you! I needed this reminder!

Jen said...

I think the show is "John and Kate Plus 8" - they have 2 six year olds and SIX two year olds. Whoa.