Tuesday, October 2, 2007

As A Mom..............

There are few real moments which define exactly what kind of 'Mom' you've been for your children. I've had children in my life for over 22 years. Yesterday I had a defining moment. And I guess I'm not doing too bad. Yesterday afternoon my oldest daughter seemed distressed and said we needed to have a 'mommy-daughter talk.' This can't be good. She proceeded to cry a little, and then tell me she had called off her wedding and broken her engagement. This decision had come after many hours of prayer and thoughtful contemplation. Her young man was not the one. I won't go into any details on the relationship. What I do want to emphasis is that she had strength to change a situation that was not in her best interest. A defining moment. Independence, strength, self-worth, an eye to the Glory in her life. She knows what Heavenly Father wants for her. When this relationship didn't match her Patriarchal Blessing, and she knew that it never would match, she left. Sometimes (many times) I doubt my parenting - mothering skills. This really was a defining moment- for her and for me.
I know you'll be wondering how she is doing. I don't think I've heard her laugh so much in one night as I did tonight. She was on the phone with a friend -he was on e-bay looking at wedding gowns to see if she could sell her dress for a good price. I guess it was all very funny. I know I'm happy.
Live-Life/Love-Life

6 comments:

Shayleen Lunt said...

Hmmm...I like that! Since my sister just broke off an engagement, I think I'll share this post with my mom. Thanks.

Leslie said...

Sorry to Katie, I'm sure that was sooo hard, but at the same time, I'm sure she feels relief as well. It's great that she's strong enough to do what she know is right, even when it's hard. Way to go as a mom, LouAnn!!

chelle said...

Wow! What strong women those Benroth/Cruze women are! Woot! You go girls. What a tough decision to make.
I know it's got to be hard...but better to do it now rather than later. Listening to HF now will bless you so much in the future! (and make it easier to do on the not so hard decisions!)

Patty said...

Tell Katy we're proud of her for doing what she felt was right. I know how hard that must have been for her (especially with a wedding planned for only months from now!) She's strong just like her Mom!

Mama D said...

I, too, am impressed with Katy's strength and courage. And what a great mom to be there for her, supporting her, cheering her on, and believing in her ability to make the right decision. What great examples you both are!

Papa D said...

Get "Steel Magnolias" - I'll grab the popcorn. (That is a compliment, BTW.)