Wednesday, October 3, 2007

My Name Is........

My husband calls me Mother Theresa because I give everything I have to my children. I give them the last serving of dinner, the last piece of pie, the last pair of matching socks in my drawer. I have no concept of keeping something just for 'the adults'. I share everything. I always have. When Bari and I started dating he cooked for me. I couldn't believe how many different ingredients he would use to make a meal. I would never put all the mushrooms, tomatoes, hamburger, onion, green pepper and what ever else in a sauce for spaghetti. Something would need to be saved for another meal. I was always saving for something else. Why use everything for 1 dinner when you could make 2? This must have been ingrained in me when I was small. My mom cooked very simple meals. We were working class (a nice way to say poor). There were 4 kids + mom and dad. Someone always had to wait until their 'turn' to get shoes or a coat. Mom rarely got anything new. I guess that was my example. Maybe that's why I never expect anything. I have no 'feeling of entitlement' like my husband. He works hard and he expects something for it. I work hard and then I work some more.
This has been a hard day. I must be PMS'ing or just a little blue.
Live-Life/Love-Life

7 comments:

carrie said...

awwww...sorry to hear you're feelin blue. it's just not your color. i understand about that conditioning. my mom and our situation was much the same, but i lived on my own as a single adult and have learned to treat myself on occasion. i love you just the way you are. thank goodness we are all different too so we can learn from each other. bari's spagetti sauce sounds amazing! i hope today is a better day. love ya!

Patty said...

I think that we, as Mormon women, are very used to sacrifice on many different levels, and it often spills over in how we treat our husbands and children. Sometimes we need to remember that even the Savior took time to enjoy feasts, and it's okay for us too!

Leslie said...

Do something nice for yourself, from me! : )

Steve and Jamie said...

You need a little pampering. I was going to bring some "breaking up is hard to do" treats over to Katie tomorrow. It sounds like you need some too. I hope you like chocolate . . .

Steve and Jamie said...

Okay, so I just read my comment and realized it sounds like you need "breaking up" treats. I just meant you need some treats. We all need treats. I might be bringing myself some "get a new brain" treats as well.

Louann and Bari said...

Jamie- I found your treats on my doorstep when I got home tonight. The first thing I thought of was-"oh, someone left bags for Sam and Madeline-" See? I can't help it- I think of the kids first. Thank you!!
(Don't worry-it will all be gone by the time the kids get home on Sunday).
--How sweet are you to think of us!!

Mama D said...

Take care of yourself! There is a balance between always serving others and burning oneself out because one doesn't serve oneself.
You deserve some pampering, too!

FYI: I responded to your comment on my "On Being Consistent" post if you want to come visit and read it! :]