Friday, November 9, 2007

My Mom's Stuffing Recipe

First off, I want to say that it is really great to check blogs everyday after work. I don't always have time to blog myself, but it helps me feel like I'm staying in touch.
OK-about the stuffing. I don't like stuffing. I only like this stuffing. Most other dressings are too moist, and mushy for me. This has lots of flavor, and has a bit of a crunch to it. Enjoy---Oh, my Mom isn't much of a cook (I get that from her)- so she will find this quite humorous that other people are interested in her recipe.
1c. minced onion
1c. finely chopped celery
1c. shredded carrots
1c. slivered almonds
1 8oz. can chopped water chestnuts
1c. shortening
12c. dry breadcrumbs
1 Tblsp. poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 Tblsp. salt

Saute vegetables and slivered almonds 5 minutes in shortening (do not brown).

Mix in chopped water chestnuts.

To bread cubes add poultry seasoning, pepper and salt. Add vegetable mix and toss lightly to mix. Cool completely. Then stuff turkey, or bake it in a pan 1 hour. Makes enough stuffing for a 12-14 lb turkey.
My Mom has a written note: Double this for a 23lb turkey.


I also have a rockin' Pumpkin Pie recipe and a Pumpkin Roll recipe.

Let me know how you like them-----
Live-Life/Love-Life

3 comments:

Dory said...

This sounds yummy. I will have to try it!

ANTSYLLI said...

I can see why you don't like other stuffing. That looks like a cool recipe. I want to try it. Your mom spoiled you for other kinds of stuffing. A good crunch makes all the difference! Thanks for sharing.

Louann and Bari said...

I forgot to note that the original recipe called for 1 cup of chicken Broth to be added when the bread crumbs and veggies were all mixed together. I think that because she always used FRESH bread (not dryed cubes) that is why she didn't need the broth.

Hope you enjoy it as much a we do.= Oh I also for got that it is ALWAYS better with gravy on top.(Incase it is a little too dry).